Sunday, August 6, 2017

Sanity Sunday- Three by Don McLean

by Nomad

Whenever we think of singer and songwriter Don McLean, we remember his classic "American Pie" and the immortal "Vincent."

However, on that same 1971 album (American Pie), there were so many other great songs. I have chosen a selection of three.

Every one of our beloved songs generally has some kind of a personal reference. A moment in our lives, for example. For me, this song, "Empty Chairs" will always be connected in my mind with the passing of my mother.
Never thought the words you said were true
Never thought you said just what you meant
Never knew how much I needed you
Never thought you'd leave, until you went
Morning comes and morning goes with no regret
And evening brings the memories I can't forget
Empty rooms that echo as I climb the stairs
And empty clothes that drape and fall on empty chairs
And I wonder if you know
That I never understood
That although you said you'd go
Until you did, I never thought you would
The melody is good enough to stand alone, but adding those lyrics and you have poetry set to music. Take a listen.


The lyrics of the next song,"Till Tomorrow" seems to suggest a hopeless kind of love or a love in disarray. 
I've been wanting to ask you
Where has all the love gone
And what have we become
Storm clouds full of thunder
Move silent as they drum
And when they're gone
we'll be fine, till tomorrow.


The final selection from that album is "Crossroads" in which a man taking stock of his life.


Have a great Sunday.